Monday, June 25, 2007

Dinner Themes

Since this is related to cooking, I thought this would be an appropriate place for my dinner themes. In an effort to save time and effort in thinking about what I'll be fixing for dinner, I've created a list of themes for each night. Of course, if I decide to fix something else I can but this gives me something to go on if I have no idea what to fix. So far it's working out well:
Monday: Casserole; Tuesday: Leftovers; Wednesday: Crockpot; Thursday: Pasta; Friday: Grill; Saturday: Pizza (Homemade usually, and Watkins makes this easy with pizza crust mixes that my oldest has fun doing pretty much by herself!); Sunday: Chicken or roast (in the crockpot, and this is for lunch after church); Monday: Mexican; Tuesday: Leftovers; Wednesday: Oriental; Thursday: Fish; and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the same. Just thought I'd share in case it will help anyone!

2 comments:

Maven said...

That is a great list! My problem of course is once I get home, the last thing I want to do is cook. I get out of work by 6, wait around in the city for my husband, and I'm usually home by 8 p.m., which doesn't lend itself well to doing much else than just crumpling on the couch!

Come cook for me? :)

Caneel said...

Thanks! I remember the days before I decided to stay home -- I feel for you! I highly suggest the crock pot use!


Here are a few recipes for you that I enjoy:

Crockpot meatloaf:

2 lbs. ground chuck; 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper; 1/2 cup chopped onion; 1/2 tsp. salt; 1 cup cracker crumbs; 1 egg; 1 packet (1/8 oz.) brown gravy mix; 1 cup milk; 4 to 6 small potatoes (red), cubed

Mix all ingredients, except potatoes, in large bowl. Shape into a loaf. Place in stoneware. Place potatoes at the sides of loaf. (If potatoes are peeled, wrap in foil to keep from darkening). Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours. (High 4 to 5 hours but low is recommended.)


Crockpot Lemon Garlic Chicken

2 lb. chicken breasts; 1 tsp. oregano leaves, crushed; 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt; 1/4 tsp. pepper; 2 Tbs. butter; 1/2 cup water; 6 Tbs. lemon juice; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 2 Tbs. chicken bouillon granules; 2 tsp. minced fresh parsley

Mix oregano, salt and pepper; rub into chicken using all of the mixture. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in butter. Transfer chicken to crockpot. Place water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillon granules in skillet. Stir over medium heat, bring to a boil, loosening browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.


Crockpot Touch of the Orient Chicken
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used two packages of chicken breast tenderloins); 1 8-oz. can of tomato sauce; 1 clove of garlic, minced or crushed; 1/4 cup brown sugar; 1/2 cup soy sauce

Trim and rinse the chicken breasts (no need to do this if you're using tenderloins) and put them in bottom of crockpot. In a bowl, mix tomato sauce, garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce. Pour on top of the chicken. Cook on low for at least five hours. Serve with cooked rice. The sauce is great!



Hope you enjoy! :)

Google