Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Gluten-free Watkins products

My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last week and we are seeing about what we need to do to test our daughters. It will be a challenge to switch completely gluten-free, but I know we can do it. We already eat well and had some gluten-free products already. Thankfully, many of the Watkins products are gluten-free!!! Since we are a "Watkinized" home from top to bottom, this was a huge relief for me! For anyone else who might be interested, I thought I'd post this.
(Update in May 2009: Our daughters tested for gluten intolerance, and we did genetic testing which revealed gluten senstivitity genes from both parents, so I got tested as well and was reacting to gluten. This explains so many of my stomach issues! So now the entire family has been gluten-free since January.)

It's a special food considerations list from Watkins. If you are looking at gluten-free, also look and see what the "vinegar" list says. Depending on your stance with vinegar, you might be interested:
http://www.watkinsonline.com/contentF.cfm?gcataloglocale=USA&Area=Special%20Food%20Considerations&mainstg=Our%20Core%20Values

I got very good news this morning on the supplements, which are for some reason not listed on the gluten-free list. They are gluten-free! (Side note, edited later: Except the Superfood Multiple & the Fruit and Veggie Complex as well as the Inner Cleanse/Restore and the Male Formula, which I have contacted corporate about. Maybe they are fermented and gluten-free, I don't know but there is wheat grass and barley grass in them, seems like maybe something else in one or two of them.) Thank goodness, b/c we all use several of them! Here is the response I got on that:

"Thank you for contacting Watkins Incorporated. All of the Natural Based Supplements are gluten free. I am not positive as to why these are not listed with the other products on that list. I have contacted our lab department, and they did confirm that all of the supplements are free of gluten and/or gluten derivatives."

Also, I was heartbroken about the extracts -- how do I live w/o my pure vanilla and pure almond extracts? I have an answer from Watkins regarding this and according to the general opinion on several members of celiac-related forums, it appears the extracts are also probably safe:

"Alcohol in Extracts
The alcohol in our extracts is primarily derived from corn. However, it cannot be guaranteed that there is no wheat in the fields of corn. For that reason, we do not include alcohol-containing products on the gluten free list. Also, most of the alcohol evaporates when products are cooked or baked."

http://beyondpantry.com/!

1 comment:

Denise Willer said...

Thank you for this info, I have Watkins Pure Vanilla Extract and am making cupcakes for my GFCF-restricted autistic nephew so he can feel included in our birthday celebrations this weekend, and was debating with my sister regarding the safety of using their Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract.

Google